Thursday, April 17, 2014

Holy Week: Thursday

Covenant Thursday
4/17/2014

Several events have occurred this week and today, on Covenant Thursday we are reminded of numerous events. Today we remember the washing of the disciple's feet, institution of the Holy Eucharist, betrayal by Judas, Christ's capture in the garden of Gethsemane, and finally His trial and beatings. 
_______________________________________________

You were betrayed by Judas, a disciple and friend,
You were captured and chained like a theif,
You were beaten, mocked, harassed, and condemned,
for my sake O Lord, so that in You I might believe.

As You prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane,
Your disciples fell into a deep sleep,
Soon You would be delivered into the hands of the Enemy,
Your message and warnings to them, they did not keep.

I too, O Lord, have gone into a coma with sin,
raise my ailing soul, so that with You, time I can spend.
Pave for me a path, a new road, for a new life to begin,
and for my negligent and careless ways to end.

Like the disciples I've slept when You needed me awake,
and like Judas, I've betrayed You without thinking twice.
But You willingly suffered many beating for my sake,
and Your blood, for my sins, you considered suffice.

As you were mocked, beaten, condemned and tried,
I followed and watched closely, as a member of the crowd.
I watched you from afar as I bitterly cried,
"My dear Lord, the pain and humiliation for me you have allowed".

I collected the courage to swiftly run toYour side,
but like Peter, knowing You, I quickly denied,
as we made eye contact, I ran far, far away,
Dear Lord, once more, You I have betrayed.

So help me dear Lord, to learn from Your beloved John,
and to follow You to where ever the cross may lead,
through any tribulation or hardship, help me carry on,
so that in my journey to heaven I may succeed. 



When His heart was full with love for me, mine was empty on the inside. Enslaving myself to sin was easy, yet clenching to His feet for forgiveness and guidance was hard. Help me learn from You, instill in me the love for others. As you quickly forgave me, allow me to do so for others. Lord, help me take up my own cross and say willingly "where it leads me I will follow".



No comments:

Post a Comment