Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Don't Worry

          I saw him from across the street and read the misery in his eyes as I stood stagnant in the middle of the sidewalk while the commuters pushed against me, fearing that they were going to be late for work.  It was already 8:55AM and I was running late, but I found myself motionless. Thoughts were rushing through my head that the busy streets of New York were muted, sirens were silenced, and the alarms that were once flashing were now dimmed. It was something about this man that moved me. So, I crossed the street and watched him from a distance.

          As I moved closer, I noticed that his shirt was torn, exposing his flesh and wounds. On his left arm was a gaping wound that stretched from his elbow to the tip of his ring finger. The palms of his hands had numerous marks on it; marks of hardships, grief, and distress. Something was telling me to move closer, so I took a few steps closer. I then noticed his aged face and his hazel eyes that were lost in a gaze. I saw his well-defined wrinkles that spread from the side of his left cheek to his chin and I couldn’t help but take an additional few steps closer. What I had previously thought were wrinkles were burn marks that had left a permanent imprint on his face. This man’s body was clothed in wounds.

          I stood there motionless, still observing his state. He began to slowly walk over to a stoop where he sat down and said “thank you dear father”. I was in awe and on a roller coaster ride of emotions. My heart began running a marathon and numerous thoughts were channeling through my mind. I stopped, stood still, and closed my eyes for a second. This man had nothing, but found a way to be thankful.

          When I saw him from across the street and read the misery in his eyes, I immediately considered him in need. However, it is not he who was in need, but rather it was I. It is from this man that I learned a great lesson. He didn’t have a family, a roof on his head, cloth on his back or even the security of knowing that he will eat. To me, it seemed like he had nothing. But what he had I lacked. He had faith that God who takes care of all His creations, will too, take care of him. In nakedness, he felt the warmth of Christ. In struggle, he felt the compassion of a king. In hunger, he was satisfied and filled with thanksgiving. In tribulation he gave thanks and through him, I saw strength through weakness.

           So don’t worry about the problems in life, cast all your burdens on the Lord... He's got it covered!


        “But seek first His kingdom and Hid righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:33-34)

No comments:

Post a Comment